UDOT SPM Source Code - Transition to Open Source this fall

1 post in this topic

Posted

I am posting this information about UDOT's SPM software on behalf of Mark Taylor (marktaylor@utah.gov) at UDOT:

UDOT is currently working with the FHWA to transition the hosting of the SPM software (http://udottraffic.utah.gov/signalperformancemetrics/) to the FWHA Open Source Application Development Portal (OSADP) http://www.itsforge.net/ sometime this fall (around October).  The rationale behind this transition is to have the development of the source code be shared by all who wish to contribute. There are several other benefits, including additional support, updates, training, version management, transparent application development, collaborative development, forums for discussions on applications, and documentation.   We are confident that the OSADP will make the SPM's a better product and help ensure long-term sustainability for all entities using it. 

In the meantime, UDOT's software developers have been busy overhauling the SPM source code so it is ready for the OSADP this fall.  They are currently working on some of the following activities:

1. Moving the source code to current technology (i.e. Entity Framework & MVC/Bootstrap).  This will provide some of the following benefits:
    • Improve security
    • Improve ADA compliance
    • Responsive design (i.e. facilitates laptops, mobile devices, all screen sizes)
    • Installations and upgrades will be much easier.  Installation time will be cut from a full day to just a few hours (less time for upgrades)
  2. Improving the code design.
  3. Creating sufficient documentation that describe the website functions, source code and installation process (thanks to GDOT's help on this).

We look forward to OSADP this fall and hope the upcoming changes will improve the process for everyone.

2 people like this