Automated Traffic Signal Performance Measures - Every Day Counts 4

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Automated Traffic Signal Performance Measures (ATSPMs) have been included in the FHWA Every Day Counts 4 Initiative.  Visit the EDC4/ATSPM website here to learn more https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/innovation/everydaycounts/edc_4/atspm.cfm 

To view a recorded webinar that describes what ATSPMs are in the context of EDC4 and FHWA's approach to mainstreaming the use of ATSPMs nationally over the next two years follow this link https://connectdot.connectsolutions.com/p5w0i2mtnx8/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal  

The NOCoE calendar of events will begin to be populated with upcoming workshops, presentations at professional meetings and webinars to keep you informed about what's happening with Automated Traffic Signal Performance Measures.  Stay tuned. 

What is ATSPMs?

Conceptually, ATSPMS are a suite of performance measures, data collection, and data analysis tools to support objectives and performance-based approach to managing the maintenance and operation activities of traffic signal programs.

There are a number of approaches to implementing ATSPMs.  The approach selected for implementation should be consistent with the organizational capability of the agency.  For agencies with moderate to high capability a viable approach that is also cost-effective might be an open source alternative that can take advantage of existing infrastructure.  

UDOT/ATSPM Approach - http://udottraffic.utah.gov/atspm/ 

Utah DOT developed and is currently sharing an application that was developed in house.  the UDOT Automated Traffic Signal Performance Measures (ATSPM) application is available for download here https://www.itsforge.net/index.php/community/explore-applications#/30/129.  The OSADP site has a discussion section if you have a question related to the installation or configuration of the UDOT/ATSPM application.

Other Approaches

There are a number of products and services available to support the implementation of ATSPMs. In the coming weeks, FWHA will issue a Request For Information (RFI) with a set of requirements for ATSPMs.  I will share that information to provide a preliminary list of products that meet the conceptual definition of ATSPMs.

If you would like to discuss how ATSPMs are being used to support traffic signal management, operations, maintenance or design please post that information in this forum or start a new thread.

2 people like this

Posted

So a few months ago, I was with one of my technicians in the field helping to troubleshoot a detection maxout problem that was still ongoing after several visits. While on site, I was reading through the history of the log book and came upon an entry dated August 22, 2016 at 15:50 that disturbed me. I took a picture of the entry (see below):.  It said, "Work order for phase 8 maxing out. Phase 8 running correctly. Sometimes maxing out on phases 2&6 &8 due to heavy traffic. Did observe phase 8 gapping out. Work order requires looking at phase 2&6 maxing out. Didn't see gapping out due to heavy traffic both directions. Checked advance sensors for north and south. Working great. Seeing vehicles 800 ft both directions. Re-visit maybe after dusk to see if phases 2&6 maxing out. Reset all matrix detection. Reset click 650. All working."  

What I found disturbing was the fact that the technician said that they would MAYBE revisit after the PM peak when traffic dies down because traffic was too heavy at the time. I checked the rest of the logbook and this tech did not revisit the intersection after dusk like he said he may do. Anyhow, what bothered me more is all the work we have put into ATSPM's and this tech did not even check them as it would have told him right away the hours of the day of the  maxout problem (something that would take me 5 seconds to figure out).  I have attached the Purdue Phase Termination and you can see from the blue and red dots showing forceoffs and maxouts that the problem occurring well into the night and pretty much 24/7. 

I fixed the problem while in the field (we had two BIU's talking to the same channel). I am embarrassed to say that this has been an issue since May 31 2016 and was not repaired until  December 20th. However, I used this example as a learning experience of always, always, always to check the ATSPM's before you respond on detector complaints as they will help know the severity of the problem and troubleshoot it much quicker than not using them. I also helped them understand that they don't need to visit the intersection at night or when traffic is light, as the ATSPM's will help them know the conditions then. 

Use ATSPM's folks.  They will make your job easier but only if you use them.

logbook entry 8-22-16.JPG

Purdue Split Termination 8-22-16.JPG

Posted

Funding Implementation of Automated Traffic Signal Performance Measures (ATSPMs)

I frequently receive questions about grant programs and the eligibility of ATSPMs for federal funding and decided to post my typical response to share the information more broadly.  

First, lets establish that ATSPMs are an improvement to traffic signal management and operations programs and are eligible for funding under the Federal-Aid Highway Program. Obtaining Federal-Aid funds requires working through the planning process, and yes a process is involved, but this is, in fact, the most sustainable approach to gaining and sustaining the long-term support that is needed to consistently provide funding to address the needs and objectives of the organization.  I would frame this approach as the adoption of an objectives and performance-based approach to managing and operating traffic signal systems.  For information about eligibility follow this link  http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/travelinfo/resources/ops_guide.htm.

There are two Grant programs that have a number of agencies have used to successfully fund advanced traffic signal operations including adaptive control and ATSPMs:

1.     ADVANCED TRANSPORTATION AND CONGESTION MANAGEMENT TECHNOLOGIES DEPLOYMENT

Fiscal year

Authorization

$60 M

$60 M

$60 M

$60 M

$60 M

2. Accelerated Innovation and Deployment Grants (AID) - https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/innovation/grants/